Update: Week of 20 January 2020
Dear Tezos community,
It was an exciting week for the Tezos ecosystem, as VC firm Andra Capital announced that it will launch its Silicon Valley Coin (SVC) on Tezos via TokenSoft’s issuance platform. The SVC will enable eligible investors to invest in Andra Capital’s open-ended technology fund, which will invest in private technology companies.
This is another example of Tezos leading the digital securities (security token) ecosystem, as firms all over the world, including Elevated Returns, BTG Pactual, Fundament Group, and Alliance Investments, have each chosen to issue digital securities on Tezos.
We are thrilled to see increased adoption of the Tezos blockchain by professional teams like Andra, and look forward to announcing more exciting partnerships throughout 2020.
Grantees, Funded Entities, and Other News
Below are some updates from the last week:
- Baking Bad released a new version of the Baking Bad API (v2) with a complete list of public bakers featuring unique data on bakers.
- Luiz Milfont published two tutorial articles regarding Tezos smart contract development: 1) “Calling blockchain smart contracts from Android”; and 2) “TezosJ Smart Contract Caller demo dApp”
- Nomadic Labs is a premium sponsor for the Paris Blockchain Week Summit 2020 on March 31 and April 1.
- Nomadic Labs published a blog post on formally verifying the spending limit contract used in the Cortez mobile wallet.
- Nomadic Labs will serve as a founding member of the Association for the Development of Digital Assets, which aims to promote the development of digital assets in France and Europe.
- Tezos Commons released a 2019 year in review blog post detailing its initiatives over the past year.
- Tezos India Foundation is co-hosting a blockchain weekend in Bangalore featuring a presentation by its president, Om Malviya.
- Tezos Israel hosted an event on Tezos business solutions.
- Tezos Southeast Asia’s president will speak on baking and offer a demo on setting up a baker on February 3 at Trust-less 2020, a Proof-of-Stake Validator Summit in Thailand.
- TZ Ventures is hosting a Demo Day on March 19, 2020.
- ZenGo announced that it now supports Tezos delegation in its mobile wallet.
The Foundation announced the third cohort of Tezos ecosystem grants this week. After receiving 90 proposal submissions after a recent RFP, the Foundation is proud to announce it has issued 21 new ecosystem grants. Congratulations to all grant recipients! Check out the link above to learn more about these projects.
The Foundation is also pleased to issue another RFP, with submissions due by February 21. For its next cohort of ecosystem grants, the Foundation will consider and accept proposals targeting the following categories:
- Applications built using Tezos smart contracts (with a special interest in Decentralized Finance, or “DeFi”, and digital securities applications)
- Tools for Tezos smart contract development (e.g. smart contract testing tools, smart contract templates, infrastructure, etc.)
- Educational/training resources covering Tezos (e.g. Kauri, CryptoZombies, etc.)
- Projects focused on using Tezos in new markets (industries and/or geographies)
- Marketing and other initiatives to help increase awareness of Tezos and its ecosystem
- Tooling around tez as money
- Projects which are uniquely possible on Tezos
- Other proposals for projects targeting categories not listed above that may benefit the Tezos ecosystem
Prospective applicants should submit grant proposals here.
In addition to its grantmaking activities, Foundation CFO Roman Schnider spoke on a panel at the Geneva Annual Blockchain Congress on January 20. He discussed tokenized assets and capital markets. Additionally, Foundation Council Member Hubertus Thonhauser discussed digital assets on a panel at the CV Labs Summit in Davos on January 23.
What is the Tezos mainnet faucet and how does it work?
The Tezos faucet allows developers and users to request Tezos tokens for development and testing purposes. To acquire tez for development and testing purposes, enter a Tezos address and complete the captcha prompt at faucet.tezos.com. You can learn more about the Tezos faucet here.